[OpenLayers-Users] Get Features from a WMS Layer

IvanBell Ivan.Bell at CCA.com
Mon May 23 16:09:51 EDT 2011

I have a shapefile map with several embedded layers served via WMS using
GeoServer.  I would like to know how to query the map server (using
OpenLayers) to get all of the features for a specified layer.

I have only seen examples for getting a feature upon a hover or clickable
event.  However, there is no event, I simply want ALL features
programmatically returned for a given layer.

There were a few posts I saw that alluded to a possible solution; but they
were too abstract for this newbie to glean any details.  Other posts
referred to GetFeatures on a WFS layer, but I Googled for 2 hours, to no
avail, for a code example that does NOT include a mouse event.

Can anyone tell me (with example) how to get all of the features (no filter)
from a specified layer?  Or, point me to a better OpenLayers resource than
the API (which contains NO examples) or the GeoServer cookbook (which
contains only the most basic examples)?

Sincerely,
Ivan

-----