[OpenLayers-Users] Open layers with postgis

Adam Eskreis aeskreis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:31:05 EST 2011

Hello Aditya,

I do what you are wanting to do nearly every day at my job.  Here are a few
tips to help you get started:

1.  The first thing you need to do is set up a connection to your
PostgreSQL database.  Once this is complete, we can get started
2.  Next you are going to want to retrieve your data and pass it to the
frontend.  Assuming you already know how to do a spatial query, I would
pull whatever data you want from the database, parse it into an array and
echo it out using json.
3.  Once you have your json on the frontend, you just loop through the
array and plot the data as you need.
4.  The geo-data will come back from PostGIS as either Well Known Binary,
or Well Known Text, depending on how you chose to retrieve it.  WKB is
faster, but is harder to parse, and WKT has built in support in OpenLayers.
(have a look at the OpenLayers.Geometry.fromWKT function).  I recommend
pulling in the data as WKT for starting out, and as you get more familiar
you can work on writing a WKB parser.
5.  If you need help using spatial queries, I would consult the PostGIS
guide before continuing wiht anything, however the main functions I would
recommen dlooking up are:
distance
within
contains
intersects
astext

These functions will encompass most spatial queries you need to execute.

Hope this helps,
-Adam