[OpenLayers-Users] How to manage huge amount of vector features

canduc17 candini at meeo.it
Mon Nov 28 04:33:49 EST 2011

Starting from  http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/all-overlays.html this
example , I've written the following piece of code:
I have a server side loop (Django syntax) which retrieves all the features
of a dataset from a Postgis database, in GeoJSON format.
The script works fine, but the problem is the quantity of features: I have
11000 features, which means a final html file 9.3MB big and the need for the
browser of 555 MB of memory.
It loads everything after 10 seconds and map navigation is almost
impossible, due to processor elaboration for pan/zoom and memory
consumption.
How can I manage this? Is there any OpenLayers tool which I can use to
minimize resource consuption?
Or should I use another approach, for example producing little png server
side and load them instead of vector features?
Any suggestion would be really appreciated, thanks in advance.