[OpenLayers-Users] Control.Scale fails when div or geodesic options are used

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Tue Sep 27 00:50:39 EDT 2011

On Sunday, September 18, 2011, Tim Baggett <tim.baggett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using OpenLayers trunk at rev 12352. I noticed that when I
> attempt to create a Control.Scale object with any options, it would
> fail to work:
>

>       new OpenLayers.Control.Scale( {
>         div: document.getElementById('scalediv'),
>         geodesic: true
>       } ),
>
> However, if I add no options, then the Scale control would appear in
> its default position inside the map.
>

>       new OpenLayers.Control.Scale(  ),
>
> Seeing that the ScaleLine control worked fine for me, and that
> ScaleLine is a close copy of the Scale control I began looking for
> differences. As a result, I deleted the Scale::initialize() function
> in favor of inheriting from Control::initialize() instead just as
> ScaleLine does.
>
> The result is that I can now enable geodesic and move my Scale control
> outside the map into my own div.
>
> Patch is attached.
>
> I greatly appreciate the work all have put into OpenLayers, and hope
> this helps contribute something (however trivial) back.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Hi Tim

I'd recommend creating a ticket and attaching your patch to it. Set your
ticket to milestone 2.12 and to Review if your patch is ready for review and
includes unit tests (I haven't looked at your patch yet). Patches in tickets
are looked at when the time for a new release comes, patches in emails
aren't.

Cheers,

--
Eric Lemoine