[OpenLayers-Users] Long URLs messing up Opacity

LewInMadrid LCLARK at GENASYS.COM
Tue Apr 17 11:33:55 EDT 2012

*For OpenLayers 2.11*

Unlike the dev version, the opacity command works after sending a long WMS
URL in Firefox.
However, it sends the Post request three times, the second of which sits
waiting without returning content.
In IE8 I see the same problem as in the dev versión, with the opacity
command not working after issuing a long url.

*For OpenLayers Dev version*

After I send a WMS long url, the setOpacity function only works when I issue
a mergeNewParams.

If I do this I see the opacity change.
    overlay.setOpacity(0.3);
    overlay.mergeNewParams({makeTheUrlLong: longText});

If I just do this nothing happens.
    overlay.setOpacity(0.3);

If I send a short URL then setOpacity starts working again.
This occurs in both Firefox and IE8.

Also, in IE8 the setOpacity command on the overlay also changes the opacity
of the base layer.

I've added a couple of setOpacity comands to the wms-long-url.html example
to verify the problem.

// add behavior to dom elements
document.getElementById("longurl").onclick = function() {
    overlay.setOpacity(0.3);
    overlay.mergeNewParams({makeTheUrlLong: longText});
};
document.getElementById("shorturl").onclick = function() {
    overlay.setOpacity(0.7);
    overlay.mergeNewParams({makeTheUrlLong: null});
};
document.getElementById("opacity1").onclick = function() {
    overlay.setOpacity(0.1);
};
document.getElementById("opacity2").onclick = function() {
    overlay.setOpacity(0.9);
};