[OpenLayers-Users] Overwrite and extend initialize function of a class

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Feb 15 14:16:07 EST 2012

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012, Armin Burger <armin.burger at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to overwrite and extend the "initialize" function of a
class. For all other functions I used the method via

> OpenLayers.My_CLASS.prototype.funtionToOverWrite = function() {
>
> but in the case of the initialize function this does not show any effect
(it is not used). OL version used is 2.11

> In addition I would not like to completely rewrite the function but
extend it. I mean, calling the original function and then adding a few
lines of code afterwards. Is this possible? If I create a new class
inheriting from another I just can call the parent class like

OpenLayers.Control.Parent_Class.prototype.initialize.functionToExtend(this,...);

> and add my code afterwards. But this does not work when modifying an
existing class.

> Any ideas how to achieve these goals?
>
> Thanks in advance for any hints

The overwrite function and its associated test functions in the IGN section
of the Class tests may help you. See <
https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/blob/master/tests/BaseTypes/Class.html

--
Eric Lemoine