[OpenLayers-Users] Re: How to use CQL filter

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon Feb 20 15:41:10 EST 2012

> you have advised me weeks ago to use WMS for displaying and WFS for
> querying.
> could you please give me more details about how to do it ?
Well no great mystery - instead of creating your location layer as a
vector layer, you create it as a WMS layer. However, if you want to
query/filter, you create a wfsProtocol object for the same layer on your
server and use that to query it. Note also the SLD-select demo also
which is good for displaying selected geometry that is too large (but
note there are issues with geoserver which doesnt honour SRS).  You cant
use the style trick in CQL-Filter example, instead you can put the
returned WFS objects into a vector layer created for just this purpose.
I've been explaining the detail and some sample code on the "need a
little help with this ( user input & wfsprotocol.read )" thread recently
on this list for this way of doing things.