[OpenLayers-Users] Third party base layer other than google

Tobias Reinicke ramotswa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 09:47:57 EST 2012

Displaying vector layers via tiles (as your question seems to
indicate) means you're after rasterisation of existing vector
features.
This can be done with any vector layer, regardless where you want to
use it (and forms the base of many a web mapping applications). A
usual implementation is using: some db --> geoserver  [1] --> (via
wms) openlayers.

If you want to use vectors as a base layer, precaching is a good idea,
look at "GeoWebCache" for that, and there are other alternatives too.

But that's to get you going.

1, http://geoserver.org/