[OpenLayers-Users] Overlay WMS layer on OSM

Luís de Sousa luis.a.de.sousa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:11:02 EST 2012

Dear all,

Below is the code of a very simple map that pretends to overlay a WMS layer
on OSM. I have a local MapServer instance from which I add the same layer in
two different ways: as a base layer and as an overlay. As a base layer the
WMS data is shown without trouble. As an overlay nothing is shown, just the
pink void tiles with the missing image icon. Using Firebug I can verify that
when I turn the overlay on no HTTP request is being sent, thus it must be
something wrong with the code.

This is going on with OpenLayers 2.11, btw. Any help appreciated, thank you,

Luís

function initMap(){

	map = new OpenLayers.Map("MiniMap",{
		projection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:3785"),
		displayProjection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326"),
		units: "m",
		numZoomLevels: 18,
		maxResolution: 156543.0339,
		maxExtent: new OpenLayers.Bounds(-20037508, -20037508, 20037508,
20037508.34)
	});

	map.addLayer(new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM());
	map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.MousePosition());
	map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.LayerSwitcher());
	map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(1022500, 6256500), 13);

	var builds = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
		"Buildings",
		"http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/MapServ/Ludwigsburg01.map",
		{layers: "LudwigTest",
		format: "image/png",
		srsName: "EPSG:3785",
		srs: "EPSG:3785"}
	);

	var buildsOver = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
		"Buildings overlay",
		"http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/MapServ/Ludwigsburg01.map",
		{layers: "LudwigTest",
		format: "image/png",