[OpenLayers-Users] A LOT of features

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Wed Jan 18 19:01:35 EST 2012

the question might be simple, the answer it is not ;-)

According to my experience, I would say it depends...
... on the browser type, the complexity of the features, memory and
CPU's of the PC, what you regard as still acceptable responsiveness of
the application, etc.

If your features are quite simply structured, i.e. with few vertices
(rectangle-like polygons, straight short lines, etc), then browsers like
IE 7/8 (v9 should be faster I guess) should be able to handle a few
100's. Chrome and Firefox maybe a few 1000's. With more features the
application becomes more and more sluggish and pan actions become sticky.

If your features are complex then this will happen already with fewer
features. I have not tried, but I would guess loading as vectors e.g.
the coastline of Norway, digitized with decent details, can make an OL
application virtually unusable because a single feature could have some
100000's vertices.

armin