[OpenLayers-Users] Slow WFS filter layer

Ivo Limmen ivo at limmen.org
Mon Jul 2 13:35:28 PDT 2012

Paul,

You can always style the WMS layer. I myself use that a lot. It depends how
much the user can/may change of the layer but if it is just a few
attributes I would suggest to create a style template on your webserver,
create a url in javascript that adds the user inputted style changes and
merge the new SLD parameter on your WMS layer. It's easy and fast.

Ivo

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Paul Meems <bontepaarden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ivo for your input.
>
> I use a WFS layer because the user can change the attributes using a form
> and then the colors of the features need to be changed.
> I understood I need a WFS layer to do so.
>
> Can I change the colors of the features (based on Terugverdientijd = ROI)
> using your approach?
> If so I can try that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

> 2012/7/2 Ivo Limmen <ivo at limmen.org>
>
>> Paul,
>>
>> Looked at your site and I do not really understand why you would want to
>> use a WFS layer to zoom in on an adres. I would simply:
>>
>>    1. create a filter based on the input of the user.
>>    2. create WFS protocol
>>    3. add a callback on the WFS callback and zoom to the extend of the
>>    returned features.
>>
>> But that is just my 2 euro cents.
>>
>> Ivo
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Paul Meems <bontepaarden at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Milo,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the quick reply.
>>> 1. Yes, GeoServer and PostGIS are on the same server (dedicated server @
>>> RackSpace)
>>> 2. What is enough RAM? I now have 2GB, with only Ubuntu, GeoServer and
>>> PostGIS
>>> 3. My dataset has 67k features. I can try tomorrow with a smaller
>>> dataset.
>>> 4. I'm using FF v13 with FireBug.