[OpenLayers-Users] Is there an easy way to center and zoom the map automatically based on the placemarks that are on it?

Tobias Reinicke ramotswa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 00:17:16 PDT 2012

The same function is also available for vector layers;
http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/files/OpenLayers/Layer/Vector-js.html#OpenLayers.Layer.Vector.getDataExtent

I presume you will have set your kml layer up somewhere along the lines of;

var myKMLLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("KML", {

            strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.Fixed()],
            protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.HTTP({
                url: "whatever",
                format: new OpenLayers.Format.KML({
                    extractStyles: true,
                    extractAttributes: true,
                    maxDepth: 2
                })
            })
        };
Then all you do is call
map.zoomToExtent(myKMLLayer.getDataExtent());

That work for you?

Toby