[OpenLayers-Users] Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIDOMHTMLDocument.implementation]

Aaron E-J azintirea at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 09:19:22 PDT 2012

I started getting a strange message on occasion (usually happens but
occasionally does not) that I'm not really sure how to fix it.  There are
two forms of the same message in firebug, both seem to be about the same
thing:

Uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIDOMHTMLDocument.implementation]"
nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame ::
http://localhost/phpEx/lib/OpenLayers/Renderer/SVG.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> ::
line 77" data: no]

Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)
[nsIDOMHTMLDocument.implementation]
error source line:
     return (document.implementation &&
The function that this appears to be effecting:
/**
     * APIMethod: supported
     *
     * Returns:
     * {Boolean} Whether or not the browser supports the SVG renderer
     */
    supported: function() {
        var svgFeature = "http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/feature#";
        return (document.implementation &&
           (document.implementation.hasFeature("org.w3c.svg", "1.0") ||
            document.implementation.hasFeature(svgFeature + "SVG", "1.1")
            document.implementation.hasFeature(svgFeature +
"BasicStructure", "1.1") ));
    },

I'm using the latest Firefox release (13.0.1) and it should handle SVG no
problem…  My guess is this is a bug related to OpenLayers v2.12.  Does
anyone know whether this is, in fact, a bug and whether it is being dealt
with?  Thanks.

Aaron E-J
http://otherrealm.org
http://aaronej.blogspot.com