[OpenLayers-Users] Point symbolizer: triangle + orientation line

Gabriel Vatin gabriel.vatin at mines-paristech.fr
Fri Jul 27 07:18:54 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'd like to represent mobile objects (WFS layer of points) with a
triangle, and a line to show the direction and speed of it. Right now, I
can use the default "triangle" symbolizer :

symbolizer: {
rotation: '${heading}',
     pointRadius: 6.5,
     graphicName: 'triangle',
     strokeColor: 'white',
     fillColor: color,
     strokeOpacity: 0.3,
     strokeWidth: 2,
     fillOpacity: 0.7
}

Then I use the rotation attribute to turn the trangle. The triangle
object is a isosceles triangle, but it is so small that we can't really
see its orientation. So is there a method to draw a triangle and a line
at the top of it to show the direction ?
I just tried to add a new WFS layer with the same origin, but an other
symbolizer :

defaultStyleD = new OpenLayers.Style({
     rotation: '${heading}',
     pointRadius: 25,
     externalGraphic: './img/line.png',
     graphicYOffset: -50
});

The line.png is an image I made myself. If I display the 2 layers at the
same time, that's the kind of result that I want to see... but this is
only a trick, and not a real good way to answer my problem !
Do you have any idea ?

Thanks,

Gabriel