[OpenLayers-Users] Combining layers with different SRS - intentionally - is failing

cheesybiscuits thomaschristian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 17:54:14 EST 2012

I am trying to resolve an issue that stems from my Oracle database not being
the correct version to understand the EPSG:3857 / 900913 Spherical Mercator
projection.

I'm using OpenLayers, via WMS, with GeoServer & GeoWebCache. GeoWebCache has
generated tiles in EPSG:4326 and 900913 (I tried and failed to add a new
gridset, but that is another issue). My OpenLayers map's base layer should
be 900913.

Using a transform I found here:
https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2228982 I am able to
use the 3785 SRS in Oracle (which does exist in my version) to mimic the
900913 SRS and so Oracle can serve up coordinates that match the 900913
projection.

So what I need is for OpenLayers to request the base layer in 900913
(because GeoWebCache is not happy otherwise) and the 'live' layer in 3785. I
overrode the map's default projection just for the live layer -
liveLayer.projection = new OpenLayers.Projection('EPSG:3785') - but Firebug
is showing me that requests for this layer are being sent with
SRS=EPSG:900913 and a BBOX in metres, rather than degrees, which means
GeoServer is re-projecting the coordinates during rendering and this will
obviously affect performance.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible with OpenLayers? I know it doesn't
seem sensible, but in the absence of the required version of Oracle, with a
coordinate transform that fills in the gaps, and a need to avoid
re-projection it's my best option.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.