[OpenLayers-Users] WMSGetFeatureInfo - slow response in IE8 and 9

David Miller teknocreator at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 16:07:33 EST 2012

Good day all,

We have MapServer 6.0.1 and OpenLayers 2.11 installed on our system.
Following others' examples and some help from other lists, I was able to
use OL's WMSGetFeatureInfo control to query a raster via MapServer's WMS
option and have it return the values on a popup on the raster image at the
point I clicked at.  With Firefox and Chrome, this works well as I receive
a response within 2-3 seconds.  However, with IE 8 or 9, the response is
very slow - 30-40 seconds.  And when I click on the map, it looks like
nothing happens and I can still move the mouse around.  However, after the
time I indicated, the mouse cursor may change to an hour glass or to the
spinning circle that one sees when connecting to a web page (seems to
depend on IE version).  Then the popup appears with the raster value at
that point.

Any ideas on what might be happening with IE and also perhaps how to fix?

In case you'd like to see the control's code, I've included it below.
However, like I said, this works well in Firefox and Chrome.

    info =  new OpenLayers.Control.WMSGetFeatureInfo({

                         url: "/cgi-bin/mapserv",
                         maxFeatures: 1,
                         title: 'Identify features by clicking',
                         queryVisible: true,