[OpenLayers-Users] Re: caching tiles with phonegap

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 00:41:41 EDT 2012

Have you played around with the new CacheRead and CacheWrite controls in the
upcoming 2.12 release? They already do this for you (offline tile caching),
but the tiles are saved to HTML5 local storage whose meager quota of 5-10mb
is easily surpassed. I tried this with my MapGuide tiled maps and it could
only stash 50-60 tiles before hitting the localstorage limit.

Perhaps modifying the existing CacheRead and CacheWrite controls to re-route
these tiles to your file system instead of window.localStorage would be the
simplest approach.

Or a cleaner way, refactor the CacheRead and CacheWrite controls for a
pluggable storage backend.

- Jackie