[OpenLayers-Users] Tr : Continuous animation during pinch-to-zoom with Google Maps

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Fri May 4 14:59:50 EDT 2012

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012, TIJod wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> Many thanks for your impressive work on OpenLayers!
>
> We are facing an user interface problem when using the Google Maps layer
> on Android 4.0 (and presumably also the versions below). Although
> pinch-to-zoom is correctly recognized and handled by OpenLayers (it *is*
> possible to zoom with gestures), there is no continuous animation during
> the gesture. This is quite problematic from the ergonomic point of
> view. Surprisingly, the continuous animation does work with OSM or Bing
> layers. The problem is present both on OpenLayer 2.11 and 2.12-rc1.
>
> Is there a way to fix this problem?

Not that I know. I'm not a Google Maps expert though.

Some explanations:

Pinch zooming scales the “layer container" div. This div contains the
layers that OpenLayers itself is responsible for moving. Google layers are
moved by the Google Maps API, so they're not in the layer container div.

There may be ways to have the Google layer be scaled while pinching, but I
personally don't know how to achieve that.

Cheers,

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS