[OpenLayers-Users] WMSFeatureInfo not working on Firefox on Ubuntu 12.04

danny shevitz shevitz at lanl.gov
Tue May 29 16:10:58 PDT 2012

Phil Scadden <p.scadden at ...> writes:

> Why need a proxy?
>
> Well because usually you have your application (especially the host
> page) on one server and geoserver somewhere else. Since the browsers started
> tightening up security on XHR, the restriction has been that XHR request
> need to reference an item in same directory as your OL page or in a
> subdirectory of that. Obviously mapserver/geoserver will be somewhere
> else. What OL needs to do is switch its http requests through a proxy.
> In my system, I have
> proxy.jsp in my main directory, with proxyhost pointing to it. So
> instead of GET to http://myserver, it generates
> proxy.jsp?url=http://mygeoserver
> Proxy.jsp checks the URL to see if it is one my allowed hosts, opens the
> url, fetches data and pipes back to OL.

This much I understand, except instead of writing the proxy script myself. I am
having the webserver (Nginx) doing the proxying for me. I redirect /geoserver to
http://otherbox/geoserver. This effectively "fools" OpenLayers into thinking my
geoserver requests are in a subdirectory, but I'm not writing the proxy. This is
dead standard web server configuration. With proxying implemented on the server,
why would I need ProxyHost set in OpenLayers?

Again, I don't think the problem is a proxy problem (but I am not 100% sure)
because the same server (Ubuntu) serves the same page on the same FF 12.0 on a
different machine (Windows) just fine. The identical page on FF 12.0 on a
Windows client has a clickable map. In addition, a known working page (renders
just fine with a clickable map on Ubuntu 11.04) does not have a clickable map on
Ubuntu 12.04. The only time I have trouble is with FF 12.0 on Ubuntu 12.04

Danny