[OpenLayers-Users] change layer style on zooming

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon Nov 5 13:25:15 PST 2012

Yes, it can by WMS/WFS combination. You display with WMS and use WFS to
respond to clicks. Eg
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/getfeature-wfs.html
  but I have posted more detail many times on this list. This method is
far faster. I use it to respond to point, polygon selects and to text
search based on attributes. I use WMSGetFeatureInfo to respond to hover
events. (no features =1 and returning GML) (eg see
http://data.gns.cri.nz/pbe but it requires a free registration).