[OpenLayers-Users] Question on commercial use of google data and OpenLayers api

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Nov 12 08:44:53 PST 2012

On 11/12/2012 10:44 AM, Brett Wiesner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see here
> (http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/files/OpenLayers/Layer/Google-js.html)
> that Google has given explicit written permission to use its data with
> the OpenLayers api. Does anyone know if this covers commercial usage?

While I'm not an expert on this, this permission does not change the
fact that you have to comply with all the terms and conditions required
by google and it only says that they relaxed the no wrapping condition
for OpenLayers.

If you are building something for commercial usage, I would think that
you would want to make sure that you have in writing your own written
agreements from google so you are not surprised later by a cease and
desist order that could put you own of business.

Google specifically states that the reasons for their terms is to make
sure that people are using their services knowing what the terms are and
complying with them.

My 2 cents anyway,
   -Steve