[OpenLayers-Users] Problems with OpenLayers in JavaFX WebView (memory usage, zoom with wheel and text layer)

Asif Ahmad asifahmad71 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 21:43:46 PST 2013

Hi,

I don't have a lot of experience with OpenLayers and am trying to fix a few
problems in an application. The application has to run in a JavaFX WebView
over the integration/development of which I have no control. The application
is supposed to display some text values on the map updated every second and
is expected to stay open for days if not weeks. I have come across the
following problems:

1. Zoom and pan makes the Java process memory rise (also happens if the map
is opened in other browsers: the browser's memory rises). I reported this
and was pointed to  this issue
<http://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/issues/1155>  . What this says is
that a fix in 2.13 causes the browser to cache the image and the browser
should be able to handle its memory. However, I have found that browser
memory rises to a point where it crashes if the zooming and panning is quick
enough. I tried reverting the changeset mentioned in the issue 1155 thread
and setting tileManager to null but it didn't make much difference. I
reverted to 2.12 and it solved the memory rise problem but produced the
second problem below.

2. Zoom out with mouse-wheel doesn't work in OpenLayers 2.12 with JavaFX
WebView though it works fine with Chrome. Zoom out with mouse-wheel works
fine with OpenLayers 2.13 and JavaFX WebView.

3. Text on the text layer gets displaced in the Java WebView. I initially
thought that it's trying to keep its place with respect to the map div but
that's not the case. If I zoom out or pan, it just goes out of the viewport.

Any pointers regarding these issues will be highly appreciated. 1 and 3 are
critical to our application.

Regards,
Asif