[OpenLayers-Users] need help figuring out WMTS parameters for simple webmap

Donovan Cameron sault.don at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 20:29:36 PST 2013

Hello OpenLayers List!

My first time working with OL and I've been trying to get a WMTS[1] to load
in version 2.11 and feel like I'm getting close because it is grabbing
tiles, sort of...

This is so that I can modify a plugin[2] for QGIS to let me load this WMTS
as a basemap.

But I can't figure out what some of the needed parameters are - been trying
to interpret the GetCapabilities[1] xml and have figured some stuff out I
think.

I'm using the OpenLayers.Layer.XYZ method because this WMTS use that form
of URL for requests:
http://maps.wien.gv.at/wmts/lb/{Style}/{TileMatrixSet}/{TileMatrix}/{TileRow}/{TileCol}.jpeg

So under the OpenLayers.map part, I have...
maxExtent: new OpenLayers.Bounds(1799448.39, 6124949.74, 1848250.44,
6162571.82)

...which I got from generating an extent polygon from the two x,y points
given by the Lower/UpperCorner in the TileMatrixSet.

I don't know if that was the right way to get the bounds... but in QGIS[3]
it looks OK with overtop Google basemaps..

So then I used that polygons centre x,y to fill out the setCenter option:
map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(1823849.41, 6143760.78), 0);

I don't know what to enter for the maxResolution or if I've set the two
options correctly:
sphericalMercator: false,
wrapDateLine: false,

The file I'm trying to get working is openlayers/html/schnittstellen.html
and that is found in the zipfile[4] I uploaded to my dropbox.
All the other HTML files in that folder work as expected. When I open that
file, it grabs an empty white tile and this is the example URL:
http://maps1.wien.gv.at/wmts/lb/farbe/google3857/0/67/52.jpg

But I don't know why it's not working - can someone help me figure this out
please? Thanks in advance.

[1] http://maps.wien.gv.at/wmts/1.0.0/WMTSCapabilities.xml
[2] http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/openlayers_plugin/
[3] http://susepaste.org/images/7ea74f53.jpeg