[OpenLayers-Users] highlight feature (was Two displayProjections on a map)

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 07:48:58 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Jerome A. Wendell <
jawendell at digitalmapping.com> wrote:

> Richard,****
>
> ** **
>
> I looked at your site at the link below, and it is very impressive.  I am
> new to openlayers and web mapping, and see that I have a tremendous amount
> to learn.  When you have returns from your search page, what type of call
> are you making to openlayers with the “Map It” links to highlight and zoom
> to a specific parcel?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> ** **
>
> Jerome A. Wendell

This probably deserves a different subject/thread.

There are a *lot* of ways that people do this and I'm not going to say that
I'm doing it the best way. My "Map It" function makes an AJAX call to a php
function that returns the extent of the selected features (there can be
many features selected). It then instructs OpenLayer to zoom to that
extent, and adds a layer with the selected features highlighted. I am using
WMS style requests, so all features are being drawn on the server. I am no
rendering vectors in the browser, which seems to be a more popular approach
with OpenLayers folks.

Best regards,
Rich

--