[OpenLayers-Users] Best practice for many points

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Sun Jul 28 14:12:02 PDT 2013

> What is the best practice to plot more than 1,000 itens from a KML file?
>
> I have tried cluster strategy, but it still takes too much time.
>
> Any clue is welcome!
I would say best practise is dont use any vector format for more than
500 points of geometry, period. And KML can be considerably more verbose
than say GML. You are up against limitations of the browser, network
transfer speeds and especially the execution speed of js. Have a long
look at the application and see how you move rendering to the server
(WMS). If you are stuck with KML, then look at the KML module in
geoserver for example.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.