[OpenLayers-Users] display a border at the end of the world

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon Mar 11 13:26:43 PDT 2013

"It's better to have a general solution."

Backend databases that maintain geometry POSTGis, Oracle SDO, and ArcGIS
SDE all have their own market interests and drivers. With that go their
own peculiarities. You cannot at either geoserver or openlayers side, do
anything about topology management at the database end of it. You have
to live and work around what is provided. A general solution would only
be possible if all the database vendors did it. The sad truth is that
very few people need to maintain topologies across the 180 line so its
bottom of the list for these vendors. If my memory serves me right, the
first time ESRI promised us a fix for the 180 issues was in 1988. "Next
version" said our rep. We finally got something that worked for "many"
cases in around 2002. A general solution for all projections? Still
waiting - and that is just one vendor. When you save a geometry to
geoserver, it ultimately has to write that into whatever your backend
database is.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.