[OpenLayers-Users] Use of Geoserver Pritning Module with OpenLayers client?

Benjamin Krepp bkrepp at ctps.org
Tue May 28 12:25:05 PDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

I have a couple of OpenLayers apps (backed by Geoserver) to which I’d like
to add the ability to print the map in .pdf format. The Geoserver Printing
Module (
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/community/printing/index.html)
looks like it would provide the server-side support I’m looking for.

However, the documentation for the Print Module indicates that the print
service it supports is meant to be used from GeoExt client-side apps. For a
variety of reasons (not the least of which is budget limitations) I’m not
in a position to re-implement the OL apps in question using GeoExt.

Given this, I have a couple of questions:

1.       Does anyone know if a plain-vanilla OpenLayers app can
successfully make use of the Geoserver Printing Module service? If anyone
does, I’d appreciate reference(s) to working sample code.

2.       If (1) is not possible, is there some approach that would work
that wouldn’t require re-writing the whole app to use GeoExt? For example,
might it be possible to use GeoExt only in a very limited way (e.g., manage
the ‘map canvas’) and rely on the existing body of OL code to handle
everything else (e.g.,  manage on-screen controls, generation/display of
legends, etc.) and still be able to exploit the Print Module? If the answer
is ‘yes’, pointers to sample working code would be appreciated.

Since the answer to these questions might be found in either the GeoSever
or OpenLayers communities, I’m posting this inquiry to both mailing lists.
My apologies if you receive these questions twice.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer with this.

Best regards,

Ben Krepp

*Benjamin Krepp** * |  Manager of GIS and IT

CENTRAL TRANSPORTATION PLANNING STAFF

617.973.7137* * | *bkrepp at ctps.org*

www.ctps.org/bostonmpo

[image: Description: cid:5F54AF76-729F-48CE-9BEE-5E4887E4DA63]