[OpenLayers-Users] GRIB2=>PostGIS Raster=>GeoServer=>OL?

brking brking at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 09:26:39 PDT 2013

I'm looking for input from those more experienced on how to handle getting
weather forecast data into a queryable format, and eventually, into
OpenLayers for display. I need to support OGC filtering via custom
functions, which we already have working for other WFS layers. Is WCS the
way to go here ? We have had a lot of success with the PostGIS/GeoServer/OL
combo for everything else, but I have not used PostGIS raster or any other
raster formats for that matter other than simple WMS layers. My raw weather
data is GRIB2, and I know how to get to the gridded datasets with NetCDF.
What I don't know is what is involved getting that into a format I can
easily filter on and display from OL. The sources will be live feeds or
historical, so are failry dynamic. I will need to use both spatial and time
based filters, and of course display the gridded weather. Thanks.