[OpenLayers-Users] Alternatives to get rid of WFS layers

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon Dec 15 12:04:59 PST 2014

On 15/12/2014 11:37 p.m., Roel De Nijs wrote:
> Because our layers represent a sewerage system, which can be quite dense. The number of visible features on a given zoom level can range from 5000 to 25000. We currently use WFS for selecting (and WMS for drawing), but with these kind of numbers the performance of our web application is poor, very poor. That's why we are on the lookout for any alternatives/workarounds.
Where are the performance issues. Using GWC for caching should be key to
improving drawing performance (make sure tiled=true in WMS request) The
pain can be selecting. Consider using SLDSelect to show selected
feature, while simultaneous issuing identical WFS query requesting ONLY
attribute and not any geometry (list the attributes you want, excluding
shape). This can still be a very big payload to download. You have a
couple of options. The best is probably Paged WFS if you server supports
it. If it doesnt, you would have to write your own. Issue your WFS to a
servlet (I tend to build these into the proxy). The servlet requests
does the actual WFS request and then creates HTML to pass back to your
client.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.