[OpenLayers-Users] Interactive hot spots on a map for large, complex vector geometries

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Tue Jul 1 14:03:19 PDT 2014

On 1/07/2014 8:13 p.m., Rob Marjot wrote:
> In my application (and my understanding of a responsive app) this
> isn't acceptable (anno 2014).

Well your milage will vary. Even at anno 2014, web technology is not  up
to managing a million vertices by download vector and js processing. If
you have a small set of vectors then you can do it.

> The usage scenario is going to be very "explorative": in the map there
> will be all sorts of geometries statically visualized (WMS), while
> interactive geoms (being query results) are to be drawn (and instantly
> highlighted on hover) on top of it (in a sidebar, the objects'
> properties will be listed).
Well the key there is keeping the interactive geom (query results) down
to bare minimum size. Dont underestimate the impact of download load
time (as opposed to interpretation in JS) on responsiveness. I am not
sure server-side processing to canvas coordinates would be as important
as generalizing the geometry before sending it.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.