[OpenLayers-Users] Open Layer and Eclipse configuration

Aleksander Vines aleksander.vines at nersc.no
Sat Mar 8 01:40:13 PST 2014

Hi again,
Just to clarify, you don't need to run two different Apache Tomcat's. It was just because of convenience that I did it. You can run one, and you can run multiple instances. And Eclipse can handle running several instances of Apache Tomcat at once, so that is no problem.
However, each Tomcat instance (or other servlet container you are using, like Jetty) would have to listen to one port (and two instances running on the same computer can not both listen to the same port). And you need to use that port to connect to the applications that is hosted on that specific Tomcat instance. You need to set up these ports.
Aleksander

Carlo Di Michele <bwt at buildware.com> , 3/8/2014 8:39 AM:
Hello and 10x to everybodies for your help, everything works now!! :-)))

>From yours answer I've understood that I had to use 2 different servers (one for the main application and one for the WMS) while I tried to use only one for both with a consequent HTTP Port conflict.
I'm curious now to understand something related to yours answers.
For production enviroment Apache Tomcat is suggested instead of Jetty (for geoserver). I'm using extjs by sencha and they suggest to use Apache Tomcat for the main application.
Now I would follow both indications to kick-off the project in the best way but my scare is:- is possible in the IDE (Eclipse Kleper) to use Apache Tomcat for the main Application and at the same time use Apache Tomcat also for Geoserver? - From my terrible last experience :-))) I need to have 2 Apache Tomcat installations that runs 2 different servers? Is it possible?- does I run the risk to have again the HTTP Port conflict nightmare's?
Thanks again for your suggestions and I wish you all my best regards.Carlo

I'm not sure what you are after here. What internal server are you talking about?
You can run Geoserver in several ways, the easiest would be to use the Jetty installation that comes with Geoserver, though that is not recommended for a production environment. What is recommended here is to use Apache Tomcat and deploy it there. In both of these you can set the port it runs on.
OpenLayers is a javascript library and does not really need a server to run for you to test it (unless you write it all in jsp or alike).
What I'm doing is that I run my main application on port 8080, and then I have geoserver running on port 8090 (and I specify in the javascript parameters to OpenLayers to use http://localhost:8090 as WMS/WFS server.
Regards,Aleksander

Carlo Di Michele <bwt at buildware.com> , 3/7/2014 8:47 AM:
 Hello,i'm trying to configure Eclipse to develop a website using OpenLayers and Geoserver.
My problem is that I can't be connected to Internet during the day so I need to work completely offline.
I've installed Geoserver and configured the GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR.
I wish to separate the Website (with the OpenLayers libraries) and the Geoserver with the data.
 Has it sense? Is it possible?
How can I configure eclipse to use Geoserver instead of the internal server (it has conflicts in the port 8080)? Exists a simple website template to do this?
I thank in advance for any hint.
Best regardsCarlo