[OpenLayers-Users] Showing points from a database

Niccolò Dal Santo ncl.dalsanto at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 06:45:31 PDT 2014

Hi there,

I am new of Openlayers and I need to show some points that come from a
database on a map centred in Turin (Italy), with some information related
to this point (for instance an image). Searching on line I have found that
Openlayers supports many formats of data like GML, KML, GeoJSON and many
others. Could you suggest a format useful fror my problem and maybe some
examples of how to use it?

I have tried with this code generating a map of europe, but it doesn't work

<head>
  <title>Prova GML</title>
    <script src="http://openlayers.org/api/OpenLayers.js"></script>
</head>

    <script type="text/javascript">

        // Create the map using the specified DOM element
        var map = new OpenLayers.Map("ch3_gml");

        var layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM("OpenStreetMap");
        map.addLayer(layer);

        map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.LayerSwitcher());
        map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(0,0), 2);

        map.addLayer(new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("Europe (GML)", {
            protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.HTTP({
                url: "./europe.gml",
                format: new OpenLayers.Format.GML()
            }),
            strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.Fixed()]
        }));
    </script>

where europe.gml is a gml file in the same folder of this script, but
nothing happens.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Niccolò