[OpenLayers-Users] Too many layers?

Mark Prins mc.prins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 06:51:33 PDT 2014

in this specific case I think you should really (re)think your user
interaction design. Think about:
- Do you really want a user to be able to switch on all these layers
at the same time?
- Does the map still make sense if there are more than 3 layers
selected (especially if they overlap)?
- Is there any way to reduce the options by combining several areas
into one layer?

We came up with a megamenu structure (basically a list selector) for
mapping a few hundred statistical units in our project
see: https://github.com/MinELenI/CBSviewer/blob/master/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/jsp/main_menu_theme_include.jsp

> Hi,
>
> I am working on a thematic mapping platform showing data at local
> administrative levels.
> I have many layers, so I run into problems (see screenshot:
> http://gisintersect.com/many_layers.png).
>
> Is there any way I can collapse groups of layers within the layer switcher?
> I have a high number of layers, as you can see in the switcher. Hence, I
> need some way to collapse/group/categorize the layers, so that I do not need
> to show all of them in the layerswitcher at once.
> The result is that layers drop outside the map, so either, there is a
> maximum number of layers, or there should be a better way to do it.
>
> Andreas

Disclaimer;
This message is just a reflection of what I thought at the time of
sending. The message may contain information that is not intended for
you or that you don't understand.