[OpenLayers-Users] Alternatives to get rid of WFS layers

Roel De Nijs roel.denijs at aquafin.be
Wed Jan 7 16:13:12 PST 2015

Back from the festive season break.

Thanks for the clear and detailed explanation about how you can reduce the amount of WFS data being used in your webapplication. And I can already see some use cases in our application where using SLDSelect will definitely improve performance.

But about one use case I'm still pondering about is the selection of single features. The approach you described - using a (paged, if needed) table with only few attributes, and when the user selects a feature from this table request the shape of the feature to visualize (and select) can't be used in our application, because our (current) user experience is completely different. We don't have such a table and ifor some areas this table would contain 25000 features. And then it could be very hardand time-consuming to select just the 4-5 features you are interested in. It is much easier to select them on the map itself.
But probably the only option is to probably use SLDSelect as well here. When the user hovers on a given location, a list is shown (wfs request without shape) with only the feature ids. When a user "selects" this feature (e.g. selecting a checkbox in front of feature id), this feature is added to the "selected features" table. When an item is added/removed to this table, an SLDSelect request is executed to visualize the selected features on the map.
I think this is probably the best approach to allow users to select features and avoid the use of WFS data at all. I don't see any other viable alternative.
Hopefully it's not too much work, we are on a very strict deadline... So fingers crossed! :-)

Kind regards,
Roel