[OpenLayers-Users] Changing projection to match a dataset

jonathanbyrn jonathanbyrn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 00:35:41 PDT 2015

Hi,
I am new to openlayers and I have a pretty basic but fundamental question on
how to handle different projections. I have a datasat that I want to serve
through an openlayers webpage. The problem is that the data is stored in an
irish Grid format:
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/29902/

I was hoping that changing the projection to EPSG:29902 would automagically
fix everything but it ended up throwing an error:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'R' of undefined

some further reading showed that only projections EPSG:4326 and EPSG:900913
came with openlayers:
http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Projection-js.html

I am now at the point where I am going to start using pro4js to convert my
coordinates. So here are my current options:

1: convert the coordinate system of the basemap to the irish grid
2: take the inputs from the user in EPSG4326 and convert them to irish grid
3: convert the whole dataset to EPSG4326

I know there is no correct answer but is there a best practice when mixing
grid systems? Any help would be greatly appreciated.