[OSGeo BC] Vancouver goes open?

Kaitlin Duck Sherwood ducky at webfoot.com
Thu May 21 23:24:49 EDT 2009

Hmmm.   I *think* that what actually happened (at least for practical
purposes) was that the politicians told the staff, "we'd like to make this
happen.  Go look at it and make it happen where practical, and give us a
report of where it is difficult."

This means that the staff needs to figure out how to do this, and they might
profit from some help/advice.  I'm not sure they are willing to ask for it,
but they might.

There were quite a lot of general FOSS people, including a lot of people
involved with the OpenWeb conference coming up.  The poor staff people sort
of got swarmed afterward, and I didn't have the heart to push my way into
that.  I do know the woman at the head of the queue, and I will confer with
her later.

I do have the card of Jim Ridge, currently the Deputy City Manager and
apparently the IT boss, and I have an action item to send him email.  I did
tell him that I was available to give advice, and I will take the liberty of
also giving him your (Tyler's) name/email address.  (Ridge is leaving for a
job at UBC VERY SOON, so I will send that email immediately after this one.)

--
Kaitlin Duck Sherwood