[osgeo4w-dev] Questions

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Fri Nov 23 12:26:24 EST 2007

Not much traffic so far on this list. Maybe I'll post a few questions:

- What's the current idea of a product? A big bundle of everything or a
kind of meta installer, which goes through a series of questions with
the user and then goes out to internet to download and install the
requested packages?

- I'm not very knowledgeable about executables in Windows but I know for
example that I can't mix Activestate Perl (compiled with VC I believe)
with Perl modules that are compiled with (or in?) MinGW. However, I can
use for example binary distributions of PostGIS DLLs with GDAL that I've
compiled with MSYS. (I'm not sure what I'm asking here, except that I'd
be happy to be able to rely on an existing gdal.dll for example)

- Are we aiming at / supporting users, developers, or hackers? At least
the Geoinformatica stack is a bit different for each of these (users
need only the GUI app, developers want to write Perl programs, hackers
want to install new pure-Perl modules, über-hackers want to compile,
install and link in new things).

- When will the questions on the wiki page be answered? I mean is
somebody going to write a policy document for example?

- I've taken the policy that I don't really install the software in
Windows, I write a start-up script (using bash as dos batch files suck),
which sets up the paths and environment variables etc. Many FOSS seem to
work that way and it's a good thing because I don't need to bother our
university's Windows-admins to install software. This however does not
work for software like PostgreSQL which needs to be installed as a service.

Just some Friday night thoughts,

Ari