[osgeo4w-dev] o4w-apt: an apt-get like utility for OSGeo4W

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Fri Jul 4 13:09:25 EDT 2008

Hi Jeff,

> I also think this is very cool....but I must say that for the average
> windows user they are terrified of the commandline, so I am hesitant to
> recommend more reliance on the commandline for that reason, after
> teaching first-time users commandline use for many years.

Well, I started on the project for my own convenience. I get frustrated
with the Advanced Install screens of osgeo4w-setup: lot's of clicks and
easy to get confused. I don't expect it become the default or even be
advertised to average users. I expect o4w-aptwill be of interest more to
the folks who are using gdfal/ogr command line utils more than openev or
udig.

> That said, this would be a nice thing to run in the backend that the
> user doesn't notice (e.g. user presses "update all packages" button and
> the installer executes something lke "o4w-apt update").  This in fact
> would work with any installer environment, including Nullsoft.  Food for
> thought.

Just for fun I'm going to try install from near scratch with it (using a
portable python).

thanks for the feedback,

-matt