[osgeo4w-dev] apt.exe - standalone command line installer

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Thu Jul 17 12:26:31 EDT 2008

Hello Folks,

I believe I've successfully built a standalone apt.exe which doesn't
require python to be available. Please test.

Go to http://code.google.com/p/maphew/ and grab apt-rxx.exe from
"Featured Downloads"

Open a command shell and:

   SET OSGEO4W_ROOT=C:\Osgeo4W
   md C:\Osgeo4W

   apt-r43 setup
    creating d:/osgeo/etc/setup/
    creating d:/osgeo/etc/setup//installed.db
    getting d:/osgeo/etc/setup//setup.ini
    . . . . .

   apt-r43 install gdal
    to install:
       libtiff expat xerces-c netcdf curl msvcrt gdal ogdi
       hdf4 hdf5 libjpeg libpq geos zlib proj sqlite3
       libgeotiff libmysql
     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

    {{{ more stuff happens }}}

    textreplace -std -t bin/o4w_env.bat
    Post_install complete, return code 0
    installing gdal 1.5.2-2
    installing ogdi 3.2.0.b.1-4
    ...etc...

   c:\osgeo\bin\gdalinfo --version
    GDAL 1.5.2, released 2008/05/29

I created the .exe from
http://code.google.com/p/maphew/source/browse/trunk/gis/o4w_extras/bin/apt.py?r=43
using pyinstaller 1.3 (http://pyinstaller.python-hosting.com/). I didn't
have to do anything special, just followed the basic instructions.

The python host environment was Python 2.5.2 i386 with pywin32-210,
numpy-1.0.4, ipython-0.8.4 on WinXP x64.

cheers,

-matt

PS: I'm open to moving this project to osgeo4w if it's worthy of inclusion.