[osgeo4w-dev] Progress Update

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Mar 11 18:31:01 EDT 2008

> I would add that since our meeting I have been seriously thinking about
> how deliver the FWTools experience (bleeding edge dev versions of GDAL,
> PROJ and MapServer) via OSGeo4W.  If that seems practical, would love to
> be able to end production of the FWTools win32 releases to focus all my
> energy on OSGeo4W for that role.

I think it makes the utmost sense, if it works, to use one installation
method for a variety of distributions. Every bifircation soaks up time,
duplicates effort and fractures concentration which might otherwise be
directed to advancing the "real" project.

If win32 fwtools needs to lie dormant for a time while you explore this
possibility, that is okay by me.

As to frequency, I think it would be better to allow people to try new
releases before they become stable than to remain in once a year update
mode. The cygwin installer does have [previous,[current],[experimental]
categories of packages, though I have no idea how well that works as
I've not personally used anything other than current. The idea of being
able to downgrade using the same installer in case of new release
breaking something is appealing.

cheers,

-matt