[osgeo4w-dev] Problems in using Perl wrappers with osgeo4w distro

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 16 14:54:02 EDT 2008

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> BTW: Is it possible to include multiple versions of the binary
> packages in osgeo4w side by side? I confirm that the compilations
> created by different compilers don't work very well together and we
> may encounter strange effects because fo this.
> What I would really like to see is that from a particular SWIG package
> we could refer to the desired versions of the dependencies.
> Distributing multiple versions of the same binary package regarding to
> the compiler versions in not uncommon practice on Windows.

Tamas,

It may be a common practice, but I think it would be quite a defeat for
OSGeo4W to have to do it in a significant way.  I've been trying hard
to support a mix of compilers in OSGeo4W without having to have duplicated
versions of stuff like GDAL.

I don't mind distributing multiple runtimes which the msvcrt base package
already does.

I would really like to better understand the problem that Ari is running into
before we just give up and duplicate or restrict ourselves to a very limited
set of compilers.