[osgeo4w-dev] Grass packager?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 09:41:45 EDT 2008

andrea antonello wrote:
> Hi, I was able to make java and udig work. To get the stuff in the
> installer is really fast and painless. Great job to those who did it.

Andrea,

Fantastic!  I'll give it a try.

> While I am waiting for the geotools and geoserver community to express
> interest in joining, I am creating also a small JGrass udig-extentions
> package. JGrass would love to link to GRASS and I wanted to know who
> is maintaining the GRASS package currently and what type of GRASS it
> is: native or cygwin? JGrass currently bases on the native 6.3rc5
> windows build.

The GRASS packaged was done by me based on the native winGRASS (MINGW)
build instructions as of 3-4 weeks ago.  It should be considered quite
preliminary but at least an example of how this will work.  It will for
instance move into osgeo4w\apps\grass-.... in the next packaging.

At some point I hope the winGRASS team will take over maintenance for
the GRASS package.

> Would I be allowed to put in the installer also an alpha version of a
> package or do they have to be over a certain level of maturity?

I think an alpha package is OK as long as it does not threaten the stability
of other parts of the systems.  I think we will only list fairly stable and
mature packages in the express install package list though.