[osgeo4w-dev] Grass packager?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 10:43:15 EDT 2008

andrea antonello wrote:
> Yes Frank, I can understand that.
> Are you just taking the zip from
> http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/wingrass/ and repackaging it bzipped
> for the release?

Andrea,

No, I built it from source, but with some hacks to link against the
OSGeo4W GDAL and PROJ for instance.

> However I am not sure if the native GRASS has a GUI. Does it? If not,
> then probably the GRASS team would want to supply the cygwin version,
> I guess.

The WinGRASS build I prepared would (I think) work with ActiveTcl for
the Tcl/tk based interface.  I see much activity recently on the GRASS list
related to the new python (wxWindows?) interface so hopefully we would
eventually incorporate that.

I installed uDig (it's pretty big!) and ran it successfully.  It is perhaps
aimed at a more sophisticated user than me, since I found it quite challenging
to display a simple geotiff but it did seem to be doing what it is supposed to.

A few suggestions:

1) I do think that the package should put a udig.bat script into \bin
    that will launch udig.
2) There should be a udig start menu entry and icon created.
3) I think we will eventually need a "Language" category with stuff like
    the Java, Python, and Perl interpreters.  Java doesn't really belong in
    Desktop (IMHO)
4) Please document the new packages in:
      http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo4W_Packages
    (this also goes for Jeff and Assefa who have been very busy!)

I would suggesting waiting to repackage for (1) and (2) till Assefa has added
the link/icon maker program to the msvcrt package (effectively our "base"
package) and documented how to use it.

(3) we can address later just changing the setup.hint - no need to repackage.

Does it make any sense to factor out GeoTools from uDig for use in other
efforts? Perhaps uDig is very sensitive to the geotools version and it
makes more sense to keep a copy of stuff in the udig package?