[osgeo4w-dev] Setup problems on Win64 and Windows Server 2003

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 21 15:25:56 EDT 2008

Folks,

Tamas has experienced problems with osgeo4w-setup.exe crashing on startup
on Win64.  I ran into apparently the same problem on Windows 2003 Server.
All documented at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/234

I have done some debugging of the problem on the win2003 server system
and managed to hack my way around it by disabling a bunch of fancy win32
stuff.  I have committed this, and uploaded a new setup that will skip
some stuff when run in safe mode.  To enable safe mode pass --safe on the
commandline.  This can be edited into the desktop icon for instance.

I would appreciate folks with Win64 or win2003 server systems trying without
and with this switch and noting experiences in the ticket.  If anyone has
direct physical access to such a machine and wants to try debugging the problem
properly that would also be appreciated.

PS. the latest osgeo4w-setup.exe is also compressed with upx and is only 300K!

PPS. I would like to actually package the setup program so folks can easily
and reliably launch it from the osgeo4w shell commandline (and start menu)
instead of having to keep around the downloaded .exe.