[osgeo4w-dev] LiveDVD, Portable GIS, osgeo4w

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 30 20:20:15 EDT 2008

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that osgeo4w needs to be
> connected to the internet to install. Right?
> For a DVD handed out at conferences, it would be desirable if the
> software was on the DVD, and installable without connecting to the
> internet.
> Would this be difficult to set up?

Cameron,

I demo'ed a "install from CD" version of OSGeo in Capetown.  The downside
is that it does not necessarily have the latest software, but it does mean
we have something to give out.  Some info on this is available at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/InstallFromCD

The other approach is to have a pre-installed copy of OSGeo4W packages on
the CD and have this work on the fly in the way that PortableGIS does.