[osgeo4w-dev] install problems with osgeo4w

Holly Glaser h.glaser at comcast.net
Fri Dec 18 18:42:57 EST 2009

Hello all;
After updating qGIS to mimas, the python, qGIS and EV applications did not
open.

I uninstalled all of the OSGeo4W stack 'o programs, then downloaded a new
OSGeo4w setup and ran it twice, as express and as detailed option where I
checked reinstall for everything.

I opened this to test:
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\ Pythonwin.exe
and got an error
>error .   Error could not locate component msvcr71.dll
1. msvcr71.dll
Fixed by finding  msvcr71.dll in
'C:\OSGeo4W\apps\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin'  and Copied to
c:\Windows\System32

But this did not allow python to work
>> error . the application can not locate win32ui.pyd(or Python)(126) the
specifiedd module could not be found.

So far, I have done three workarounds from web searching for fixes

1.copy pythoncom25.dll and pywintypes25.dll into c:\windows\system32
2.downloaded pywin32-214.win32-py2.5.exe, ran in
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin
3.downloaded vcredist_x86.exe and repaired c++ runtime lib

Then I found this
Found out that Python 2.5.2 (which comes with osgeo4w) does not work with
64bit Vista, you have to use at least Python 2.6 (or 2.6.1), I do not
recommend Python 3.x because it is not backward compatible with previous
releases.

My questions are:

Does deleting the osgeo4w folder really uninstall the software or is there
something else I need to do?

Is there a guide for installing python v 2.6+ without using the osgeo4w
installer?

What is pythonpath and what do I do with it?

I will be grateful for any advice!
In the hopes of a sure and certain fix,

Holly Glaser