[osgeo4w-dev] Good news about the installer

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Fri Jan 16 08:43:51 EST 2009

Hi there,

I thought that I should inform that I solve my problem with the re-installation. Sort of.

As I reported before, the first installation of OSGeo4w on my winXP64 work great. I begin to have problem when I
decided to delete its root folder and start the installation again picking up only my minimal needs.

For some reason, by selecting one single package it is not bringing up a list of dependencies or if does it is not
automatically installing those dependencies if I check the appropriated check box.

But I was able to fix all the missing dll by installing ogdi, zlib, expat, sqlite one by one or in group. The only missing dll
that I could not install from any package was proj_fw.dll. The solution was a little weird but it worked. I rename
proj.dll to proj_fw.dll and everything start to work perfectly. Application, command line tools, libraries, etc.

It looks like this problem was very particular to my own computer but I am reporting it just because it might raise
some ideas for double-checks or improvement. Maybe not. Maybe it is just annoyance. In that case sorry.

The thing is that I am working in a product that is about to release soon and I made a GUI that builds, calls and
control the execution of GDAL command lines utilities. But I giving the user the choice (and responsibility) to install
GDAL from whatever way they might prefer. Otherwise we will need to add to our installer and I don't want to do
that for obvious reasons.

I wouldn't like to see our costumer assistance dumped with phone calls and e-mail about it so I am hopeful that
OSGeo4w will work well for everybody.

Best regards,

Ivan