[osgeo4w-dev] Building rgdal for OSGeo4W

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 20 03:23:20 EST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Roger Bivand wrote:
>>    Creating library rgdal.lib and object rgdal.exp
>> projectit.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _pj_open_lib
>> referenced in function _PROJ4NADsInstalled
>> rgdal.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
>>
>> Fails on missing _pj_open_lib. I guess this is because pj_open_lib() isn't
>> in the API, so isn't in proj_i.lib. I need it for reaching into share/proj
>> from within R (to see if NAD binaries are installed, and to load epsg into
>> a data.frame in the R workspace). Any ideas?
>
> Roger,
>
> I am somewhat leery about exposing pj_open_lib() as part of the public
> PROJ.4 API - primarily because it raises an issue of passing "FILE *"
> across DLL boundaries which can be bad if different runtimes are used
> for different DLLs.
>
> Specifically for an OSGeo4W based distribution it seems like you could
> hack PROJ4NADsInstalled() to return TRUE always.

Frank,

Yes, I can see that. I've made these changes, and things are looking good,
except that building with cl rather than gcc (lots of include file
problems) leads to linking against M$ libraries which do not seem to like
defining the temporary directory as c:/Temp\whatever (GDAL can't delete
temporary files - reports them not found; OGR can't write to the temporary
directory, crashes R).

I'm looking at this - the problems do not arise when the binary package is
installed in R, but do show up in the standard R package checking
procedures, which should pass. If we put alternative checking procedures
in place, we are close. I haven't thought through the distribution format
yet. So far I think Rgui.exe needs to be started from the command line in
the OSGeo4W console - then it picks up the environment variables set in
the initialisation batch files, but there may be other options.

Best wishes,

Roger

--
Roger Bivand