[osgeo4w-dev] Python on the registry

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Thu Jun 4 10:20:07 EDT 2009

Hi there,

OSGeo4W installer does not add Python the Windows registry, right?

The problem with that is when you try to run any ".exe" package distribution it stop and say: "Could not find Python
on the registry" and there is no browser button to look for it. Examples: Mapplotlib and mod_python installers.

Here is what I did and it worked fine:

{{{
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\InstallPath]
@="C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\PythonPath]
@="C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\Lib;C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\DLLs;C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\Li
b\\lib-tk"

}}}

But I would like teach some "end-user" kind of people how to easily install 'Python+GDAL+Numpy+PyLab' and that
would be helpful to eliminate this windows registration step. If they can't find the "egg"s.

Is that intentional? To avoid conflict with other Python installations maybe. I bet it is related to user's permission.
Right?

Best regards,

Ivan