[osgeo4w-dev] Python GIS programming environment under Windows

Gilles Bassière gbassiere at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 18:42:24 EST 2010

Thanks to both of you.

Adding %osgeo4w_root%\bin to the path solved the msvcr71.dll problem and
I've been able to use Pythonwin.

With Alex's batch file, I've been able to import the GDAL Python bindings
which would not load otherwise. I don't understand why the GDAL Python
bindings are not made available on the python path by the gdal-python. For
other package (e.g. mapnik), it works out of the box.

I've also been able to install the geopy package. For this, I had to remove
the setuptools dependency in the setup.py.

Best regards,
Gilles

2010/12/15 Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>

> I've managed to get IDLE, Pythonwin, ERIC and SPE(My Favorite) to work
> with OSGeo4W before. It'll take me a day to dig up the material though.
>
> It does indeed require setting the environment variables properly before
> you open the app. Here's my Pythonwin example
> http://osprey.ucdavis.edu/downloads/abt182/OSGeo4Wpythonwin.bat
>
> Enjoy,
> Alex
>
> On 12/15/2010 09:27 AM, Matt Wilkie wrote:
> > Thank you for the kind words Gilles.
> >
> > It's so easy to focus on the immediate problem and de-emphasize, by
> > omission, the gifts that enabled us to have the issue in the first place
> > (something I'm frequently quilty of. So it's good to be reminded :)
> >
> >> This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.
> >
> > This should be installed as part of the msvcrt package in
> > %osgeo4w_root%\bin. Msvcrt package is a root package and should always
> > be there no matter what options are selected on install. You likely need
> > to set the environment with OSGeo4W.bat before calling pythonwin (or use
> > that batch file as a template for permanently setting the system
> > variables).
> >

> >> I'm thinking of installing Python/IDLE separately but I'm not sure it
> >> will be able to find/use packages from the osgeo4w stack.
> >
> > From http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/114 there's a python script to
> > (de)register a python directory tree in the windows registry. It doesn't
> > work on 64 bit systems (patches welcome). After using register-python.py
> > you should be able to use the standard windows installers for any python
> > application not included in Osgeo4w.
> >
> > In my view this is a better route forward than packaging yet another
> > not-really-gis program into the osgeo4w mirror system. We already have
> > enough difficulty keeping the core packages up to date. :)
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > matt wilkie
> > Geomatics Analyst
> > Information Management and Technology
> > Yukon Department of Environment
> > 10 Burns Road * Whitehorse, Yukon * Y1A 4Y9
> > 867-667-8133 Tel * 867-393-7003 Fax
> > http://environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/geomatics/
> >
> > On 15/12/2010 2:17 AM, Gilles Bassière wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm new to this list and before anything else I would like to thank the
> >> people behind OSGeo4W for their work. I believe it makes OSGeo projects
> >> much more accessible to common GIS users.
> >>
> >> For the purpose of a GIS programming lab, I'm trying to get up and
> >> running the following: Python, a Python IDE and several libraries
> >> (primarily GDAL/OGR and Mapnik but also Geopy).
> >>
> >> Regarding the IDE, I don't have specific requirements, I merely want to
> >> avoid using cmd.exe because this might frighten my students :) IDLE
> >> would be fine for example but I can't find it in the OSGeo4W components.
> >>
> >> I see that Pythonwin is present but I get this error when I launch it:
> >> This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.
> [...]

Gilles Bassière - Web/GIS software engineer
http://gbassiere.free.fr/